[WSBAPT] ethics/risk of delay of probate

Katharine P. Bauer kpb at bpblegal.com
Fri Jan 29 07:25:26 PST 2016

Regardless of whether there is an immediate probate, PC needs to compile
his expenses paid for the house over the years, it may be important.

On Fri, Jan 29, 2016 at 6:19 AM, Krista MacLaren <kjm.inc at mac.com> wrote:

> Hi Listmates,
>
> I recently met with a PC who is one of two brothers, only heirs of their
> recently deceased mother’s estate.  The PC lives in mom’s house, and has
> for his whole life, as far as I can tell - he is 60 years old.  He pays
> taxes and maintenance, no rent.  The brother disappeared about 4 years ago,
> and PC says he has no idea where he may be but presumed alive.  PC
> naturally wants to stay in mom’s house as long as possible, but realizes
> the house would need to be sold to split the estate with brother.
>
> I would like to advise PC on the risks and benefits of doing nothing until
> brother shows up, versus opening probate and letting it stall out until
> brother shows up, versus opening probate and affirmatively searching for
> brother (which would probably force PC out of house sooner).
>
> I was initially inclined to open the probate and conduct at least a cheap
> online person search for brother, but since PC actually wants to delay, is
> it better not to get involved at all?  To tell him to file the Will only
> and worry about a probate later? Ethically, is it different if I am
> advising PC as a beneficiary only, as opposed to a potential PR?  Brother
> is actually named as PR in the Will, PC is alternate, but PC presumed he
> would serve as PR.
>
> Thank you for your thoughts!
>

> Krista J. MacLaren
> Attorney at Law
> Northgate Executive Center II
> 9725 3rd Ave NE, Suite 600
> Seattle WA 98115
> (206) 523-6116
> kjm.inc at me.com
>
> Please note, as with most email providers, Mac does not encrypt email
> messages. Accordingly, the confidentiality of messages sent to this address
> cannot be assured. This e-mail is intended for viewing only by the
> individual or entity to whom its content is addressed, and it may
> contain confidential or
> privileged information. If you received this email in error,
> please honor the privacy of the intended recipient: reply to the
> sender regarding the error and delete the message.

Katharine P. Bauer
Bauer Pitman Lifetime Legal, PLLC
1235 Fourth Ave. East, Suite 200
Olympia, Washington 98501
tel. 360.754.1976
fax. 360.943.4427

e-mail: kpb at bpblegal.com

This message is confidential and may be protected by the attorney-client
privilege; it is intended solely for the use of the individual named above.
If you are not the intended recipient, you are hereby advised that any
notify the sender by telephone or e-mail, delete this message from your
files, and return any printed copies to the sender by U.S. mail. Circular
230 Disclosure: Any tax advice contained in this communication (including
any attachments) is not intended or written to be used, and cannot be used,
for the purpose of (i) avoiding penalties that may be imposed under the
Internal Revenue Code or (ii) promoting, marketing or recommending to
another party any transaction, arrangement, or other matter