[WSBAPT] Probate: Removing family member from deceased's home - Unlawful Detainer or Ejectment?

Eric Nelsen Eric at sayrelawoffices.com
Wed Jan 27 12:23:00 PST 2016

If the daughter was an occupant prior to the death of the parent, then she is probably a tenant-at-will who was not required to pay rent (I am guessing). Post death, it is appropriate for the PR to require payment of rent, so you can send a letter imposing a fair rent and demand payment starting right away. If she fails to pay, then you can do a "three day to pay rent or quit" and that will get you the necessary predicate to use the unlawful detainer statutes, rather than being forced to go the ejectment route.

I am not positive that the 20 day notice to terminate works, but maybe it does. My concern is that, while she is a tenant "for an indefinite time," she is not such a tenant "with monthly or other periodic rent reserved." She therefore would not fall under RCW 59.12.030(2)<http://app.leg.wa.gov/RCW/default.aspx?cite=59.12&full=true#59.12.030>, until the Estate makes a demand for periodic rent that isn't complied with.

I have worked previously with Evan Loeffler at Loeffler Law Group on these kinds of matters, working out a way to get these kind of occupants into a scenario where the expedited unlawful detainer process is available. You might give his firm a call – they are very helpful.

Sincerely,

Eric

Eric C. Nelsen
SAYRE LAW OFFICES, PLLC