[WSBAPT] Chase Bank wont accept POA

Douglas Bratt djbratt at mbavancouverlaw.com
Tue Jan 19 12:26:57 PST 2016

You must use a very expensive grade of paper, John, such that durability is the chief characteristic of the documents you prepare (although I am sure that your wisdom and experience are also a hallmark of your work).

What brand do you use?

On a serious note - I have noted a very disturbing downward trend insofar as the staffing of our local Chase Branch is concerned.  Assistant Manager laid off after about 15 years (and she literally ran the place, while the branch went through a number of managers), no visible present manager, very inexperienced tellers, long lines to see tellers, etc. The staff members are very apologetic - they talk about not being able to take their breaks because they are busy.

It all comes down to the bottom line.  The number of personnel are being cut, with resulting horrible customer service, with bottom line considerations driving this decision.

It might very well be that the person who might have delivered this (miss)information to Melinda was very inexperienced, if the branch she dealt with is anything like the one that I am speaking of.  It was probably one of their "bankers," which is one step up from the teller category - the bankers are the ones who open up accounts and do other things that the tellers are not allowed to do.  Some are OK, but others are new and are not very well informed.

The earlier advice given by a listmate about telling Chase that it will be responsible for attorney's fees if the DPOA is not honored should probably be delivered to someone higher on the food chain, within the branch, if available.  Otherwise, there are supervisors within the Chase hierarchy who are overseeing a number of branches (at least there used to be).  That person's name and contact info should be obtained as one more step in the process.

Good luck.

Regards,

Doug Bratt

108 E. Mill Plain Blvd.
Vancouver, WA 98660

Office: (360) 213-2040
 Fax: (360) 213-2030

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE:  This email message may contain confidential or privileged information.  If you have received this message by mistake, please do not review, disclose, copy, or distribute the email. Instead, please notify us immediately by replying to this message or telephoning us.  Thank you.

NOTE:  I do not use encrypted email.  Messages sent to or from my office via email are not secure and may not be protected by attorney-client privilege.  This email address is not monitored at all times.  If your matter is urgent, please phone my office during regular business hours.

TAX ADVICE NOTICE: IRS Circular 230 requires us to advise you that, if this communication or any attachment contains any tax advice, the advice is not intended to be used, and cannot be used, for the purpose of avoiding federal tax penalties. A taxpayer may rely on professional advice to avoid federal tax penalties only if the advice is reflected in a comprehensive tax opinion that conforms to stringent requirements. Please contact us if you have any questions about Circular 230 or would like to discuss our preparation of an opinion that conforms to these IRS rules.