[WSBAPT] Nonintervention estates; court jurisdiction to hold review hearings.

Eric Nelsen Eric at sayrelawoffices.com
Fri Jan 8 14:57:35 PST 2016

Doug – That is an interesting question. I think that the jurisdiction referred to in Jones, et al., is the in rem jurisdiction over the property of the estate. I think it is reasonable to argue also that it means the court lacks personal jurisdiction over any involved party, including the PR with nonintervention powers.

However, I do think that the court retains the power, on its own motion, to reassert jurisdiction at least over the PR, and revoke letters if it is not satisfied with the response. The position of PR is after all a creation of the court, and I do not think the PR could prevent the court from revoking the letters on its own motion. So, if the PR's appointment is completely at the mercy of the court, I think the court might be able to take an intermediate step and set mandatory review hearings, even as to a PR with nonintervention powers.