[WSBAPT] PERS Pension Benefits to Spouse?

James B. Dolan jbdolan at jbdolan.com
Fri Jan 8 13:16:46 PST 2016

Former client, now deceased, was a state employee for 15 years before
passing away rather suddenly.  He listed his former girlfriend/partner as
Beneficiary of his DRA pension.  He was aware of this designation long after
they broke off their relationship, and they remained friends.

He married another woman six weeks before he died.  In a conversation with
DRS, the Personal Rep was informed that  all of the funds remaining in
decedent's pension go to the new spouse, regardless of the Beneficiary
designation to former girlfriend.

Before I engage in the research and / or call DRS to discuss, has anyone
else ever dealt with a similar scenario or is anyone aware of RCW or WAC
related to this issue?  As the current Personal Rep, my client does not have
a dog in this potential dispute, however, the result seems inequitable to
me.

FYI: the decedent did make changes to the beneficiary designation on his
IRA, from former girlfriend to current spouse.  He did not change his Will
to include his new spouse, so she is claiming one half of his separate
property as an omitted spouse.

Any thoughts appreciated.

Jim Dolan

===================