[WSBAPT] jtwros account intended to go to multiple kids

John Creahan john at cairn-law.com
Tue Jan 5 13:03:56 PST 2016

I agree, and think that would be the better result.
Still, the account distribution check will be issued in brother's name only if the bank refuses to recognize the TEDRA and divide the distribution between the siblings. The siblings could take the position that the brother's transfer to his sister was an account adjustment and not a gift, but I don’t think the IRS would be required to accept their position.
And if I represented the brother, I would encourage him to start the statute of limitations by filing a 709 with a $0 gift.
Will the bank accept the TEDRA? I don’t know, but at the very least, discussions with bank counsel will almost certainly be more expensive than filing a disclaimer and initiating a probate.
On the other hand, a gift from brother to sister, while less accurate from a legal perspective, is faster and less expensive, with few downside risks.
My $.02.
John

John Creahan
206-621-5848