[WSBAPT] attorney fee award under 11.96A.150

Eric Nelsen Eric at sayrelawoffices.com
Thu Feb 25 15:39:07 PST 2016

Krista--The court can order anybody involved to pay fees, including the PR personally. In your scenario I would argue that the PR has breached a fiduciary duty of diligence, and should pay the attorney fees personally rather than the fees coming out of the estate.

In my pleadings I have usually frame the question for the court as: "Someone should pay my client's attorney fees under the statute. My client is an innocent party who has been forced to bring legal action in order to enforce her rights, and it is not fair for her to have to pay fees to receive what is hers by right. The other beneficiaries of the estate have had no part in depriving my client of her rights, and the residuary Estate should not be taxed with the fees. The PR, on the other hand, has breached her fiduciary duties to diligently settle this estate and pay the specific bequest as required under the Will that the PR has an affirmative duty to follow. Under these circumstances, it would be unfair to my client not to award fees. The PR should pay my client's attorney fees."

Sincerely,

Eric

Eric C. Nelsen
SAYRE LAW OFFICES, PLLC