[WSBAPT] PR Authority to Abandon Property

Teunis J. Wyers teunisj at wyerslawpc.com
Wed Feb 24 14:09:05 PST 2016

Take a look at 11.96A.080.  That language would seem to cover a proceeding
filed by a PR seeking a ruling allowing him/her to abandon real property
having no, or negative, equity.

On Wed, Feb 24, 2016 at 11:23 AM, Eric Nelsen <Eric at sayrelawoffices.com>
wrote:

> I don't think there is statutory authority except under general powers in
> Ch. 11.48 RCW, to settle the estate as rapidly and quickly as possible
> "without sacrifice." Spending money to preserve an asset that is not worth
> the money spent would be, I believe, "sacrifice." I think this is the same
> general authority that allows donations of clothing, old furniture, etc. to
> Goodwill or other charity.
>

> Strictly speaking, "abandoning" property is not quite allowed – I do think
> it needs to be disposed of in some way, whether it is taken to the dump or
> taken to a donation facility.
>

> It is not possible to abandon real property, and the estate will remain
> liable if, for example, someone is injured on the property. I think a PR
> could simply pass the problem on to the heirs if, for example, the property
> value is upside down. It is not the ideal solution and there are several
> factors to consider in terms of dealing with the secured creditors, etc.,
> but I think there is at least a scenario where the PR ends up not doing
> anything other than quit claiming the property to the heirs.
>

> Sincerely,
>

> Eric
>

> Eric C. Nelsen
>
> SAYRE LAW OFFICES, PLLC
>
> 1320 University St
>
> Seattle WA 98101-2837
>
> phone 206-625-0092
>
> fax 206-625-9040

Teunis J. Wyers @ Wyers|Wyers, Attorneys
Oregon Office:
     216 Columbia St. - P.O. Box 917
     Hood River, OR 97031
     (541)386-2210/610-1520 (fax)
Washington Office:
     218 E. Steuben St. - P. O. Box 421
     Bingen, WA  98605
     (509) 493-2772/493-2406 (fax)
Email:  teunisj at wyerslawpc.com
Web:  www.wyerslawpc.com

NOTICE:  This email (including any attachments) is covered by the
Electronic Communications Privacy Act (EPCA), 18 U.S.C., Sec. 2510 - 2522,
is confidential and privileged.  This email is solely for the personal and
confidential use of the recipient(s) named above.  Receipt by anyone other
than the individual recipient(s) is NOT a waiver of attorney-client
privilege.  Any violation of the ECPA is subject to the penalties stated
therein. If you have received this message in error, please notify me
immediately by reply e-mail and immediately delete the original message.