[WSBAPT] Super Will Provision

Heather deVrieze heatherd at westseattlelaw.com
Fri Feb 12 09:00:20 PST 2016

Mike,

Because 11.11.020 does not include life insurance or retirement accounts, I do not believe they would be subject to that paragraph in the Will that you recite. That said, it does seem as though a GAL should be appointed for the minor, unless their share is to go in trust or has some protective provisions in place. If the minor has a named Trustee charged with looking out for their share, I would have disclosed this to the Court at the outset and argued that a GAL was not necessary, but left it up to the Court to decide. If there was never a disclosure, it doesn’t seem inappropriate now to seek Court guidance on this.

But . . . who do you represent? If Personal Representative, lots of reason to protect them and get the Court involved. If one of the other beneficiaries, it is a more open question.

Heather

Heather S. de Vrieze
Attorney-at-Law
[cid:image001.jpg at 01D013C2.30F35160]
3909 California Avenue SW
Seattle, WA 98116-3705
(206)938-5500
heatherd at westseattlelaw.com<mailto:heatherd at westseattlelaw.com>
www.westseattlelaw.com<http://www.westseattlelaw.com/>

Click here to connect with de Vrieze | Carney on Facebook:   [FB Logo] <https://www.facebook.com/DeVriezeCarney>

CONFIDENTIAL & PRIVILEGED. This e-mail message may contain legally privileged and/or confidential information.  If you have received this e-mail in error, please notify the sender immediately and delete all copies of this e-mail message and any attachment.