[WSBAPT] Removal of name from title

Eric Nelsen Eric at sayrelawoffices.com
Thu Feb 11 12:08:19 PST 2016

I agree with Heather as usual. The problem sounds like she is on the title deed from purchase of the property. If she is only on the Note and the Deed of Trust, then there should be no problem with the refinance.

Assuming she is on the title deed, then I think there are two options. If in fact the girlfriend put down zero money at any time for the property – no participation in down payment, no payments, nothing – then perhaps the client can allege a quiet title action on the basis that her name is on the property merely as a nominee, that she has no legal or equitable interest, and title should be quieted in him.

But if the girlfriend put down any down payment, or provided any kind of consideration relating to purchase of the property, then I think she has an interest in the property and a partition action would be required, which actually would force sale rather than refinance. If that is the case, probably better to hire an investigator to try to find the girlfriend and negotiate to get a QCD.

Longest route--if she has a tenant-in-common interest, then he has been paying her share of expenses for years. He could sue for reimbursement, obtain a default judgment against her, and execute the judgment against her real property interest to take title.

Sincerely,

Eric

Eric C. Nelsen
SAYRE LAW OFFICES, PLLC