[WSBAPT] gifting EE savings bonds to charity

Stephen Moriarty scmoriarty at plattirwin.com
Mon Feb 8 13:25:30 PST 2016

"I am trying to determine whether a person may gift EE savings bonds to a charitable organization during the person's lifetime and exclude the total amount (including accrued interest) from the person's gross income, similar to the process allowed with income from individual retirement plans under 26 U.S.C. §408(d)(8)(A), (B).  In my initial research, I do not think there is a provision that allows this, but I have been unable to locate a precise statute or regulatory provision that is on point.  If anyone has dealt with this issue and can point me to an on point statute or regulation, I would appreciate it."

Stephen C. Moriarty
Platt Irwin Law Firm
403 South Peabody
Port Angeles, WA   98362
Phone: (360) 457-3327
Fax: (360) 452-5010

CONFIDENTIALITY:  This message is from the Platt Irwin Law Firm and contains information which may be confidential and legally privileged.  If you have received this message in error, you are strictly prohibited from reading it and from disclosing or using its contents in any manner, and you should immediately delete it.  The unauthorized disclosure or use of confidential or privileged information inadvertently transmitted to you may result in criminal and/or civil liability.

SPECIAL NOTICE TO CLIENT(S): If you are a client and this email is directed to you, DO NOT FORWARD to any other party, or you could be waiving the attorney - client privilege.