[WSBAPT] Felon wants to be PR

Eric Nelsen Eric at sayrelawoffices.com
Tue Feb 2 14:32:32 PST 2016

This has been discussed recently, even today. I do recall earlier conversations on the listserv, though, where there was some disagreement about whether people thought the disqualification was waivable.

Personally, based on my own research, I think that it is not waivable, and a convicted felon is absolutely disqualified from acting as PR, even if the other heirs waive objection.

If the felony conviction record is vacated or expunged, maybe that is sufficient to allow the person to qualify. But, I do not think there is any Washington case law on that point. I have not done the research myself, but my first thought is to look at the statutes and case law regarding expungement and see what the effect is supposed to be in other contexts, and then argue by analogy that it makes sense to allow that person to qualify as a PR.

Sincerely,

Eric

Eric C. Nelsen
SAYRE LAW OFFICES, PLLC