[WSBAPT] Non-english speaking beneficiary

Mark Mullins mullinslaw at msn.com
Wed Dec 7 17:28:18 PST 2016

Listmates:

I've got a now irrevocable trust (the settlor died) with where only one of a few heirs is a beneficiary. The Will is a pour-over to the trust, and the probatable estate qualifies as a "small estate." The trust will not result in any estate or gift tax as far as I am aware. The beneficiary is non-english speaking and the written language does not use english script.

After the settlor's death, the beneficiary came out with family members, and I was able to speak to the beneficiary through dual language family member(s), but did not get anything signed and the beneficiary is back home again.

Some, and I expect all, of the heirs are satisfied with the one beneficiary being the favorite. I expect all heirs live in the same country as the beneficiary. The beneficiary is a non-disabled adult.

I am wanting to get an email consent form signed, but have a variety of questions, one of which is (a) do I need to certify a translator for a document for the beneficiary to sign? (b) how to I get a certified translator or translation? (c) while I never draft POAs for non-clients, it seems to me that a POA that meets my client's needs is the best way to go, if (since, in fact) the beneficiary has indicated willingness for an adult child (or other family member) to be the beneficiary's agent; (d) do I need to see if there are international conventions or other laws or rules that apply?

I may also have a need to communicate with a non-english speaking heir who is not a beneficiary.

Please email or call confirming you received this email.

Sincerely,

Mark D. Mullins
Attorney at Law

P.S. Regarding attachments: If any portion of this email indicates there are attachments, please let me know if you are unable to open any of them. If an attachment name has the letters "sec" near the end, it is secured with a password. If you do not have a password from my office already, or don't remember it, please say so, and we will telephone you or your messaging system with your password.

P.P.S. Be aware that if your email address is not on this office's approved list, any email to this office may be deleted without notice to the sender (you) or recipient (me).

Law Office of
MARK D. MULLINS
206 South Lincoln Street, Suite 205
Port Angeles, WA 98362
Telephone: (360)457-7223 Facsimile: (360) 783-6613
mullinslaw at msn.com<mailto:mullinslaw at msn.com>

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE: The information contained in this ELECTRONIC MAIL transmission is confidential. It may also be subject to the attorney-client privilege or be privileged work product or proprietary information. This information is intended for the exclusive use of the addressee(s). If you are not the intended recipient, or the agent responsible for delivering the message to the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any use, disclosure, dissemination, distribution [other than to the intended recipient(s)], copying or taking of any action because of this information is strictly prohibited and may result in legal action, and you are requested to notify us immediately by telephone, and return the original message to us at the above address. Although this message and any attachments are believed to be free of any virus or other defect that might affect any computer system into which it is received and opened, it is the responsibility of the recipient to ensure that it is virus free, and no responsibility is accepted by this firm for any loss or damage in any way from its use.