[WSBAPT] Probate Reality Check

Karen Thompson karent at ud.thompsonhowle.com
Thu Aug 25 11:54:05 PDT 2016

One big issue however is whether sister is on Medicaid.  If so, and son signs disclaimer, he will screw up her benefits royally as this will be treated as a gift.  He could also be reported to APS for financial abuse of a vulnerable adult, in addition to incurring penalties for taking sister’s share.  In addition, there may be problems with title insurance if he uses his DPOA to sign disclaimer which then results in all property passing to him. If APS report on son, then APS might also file petition for guardianship for sister stating that son acted in his own interests at her expense.  I absolutely would not do this – your client has too much exposure and there will be a strong argument that he is taking advantage of a vulnerable adult.

Karen Marie Thompson
THOMPSON HOWLE VAUGHN
4115 Roosevelt Way NE, Ste. B
Seattle, WA 98105
(206)545-7777
Fax: (206)545-0777

This message is private or privileged. If you are not the person for whom this message is intended, please delete it and notify me immediately, and please do not copy or send this message to anyone else.

Please be advised that, if this communication includes federal tax advice, it cannot be used for the purpose of avoiding tax penalties unless you have expressly engaged me to provide written advice in a form that satisfies IRS standards for "covered opinions" or I have informed you that those standards do not apply to this communication.