[WSBAPT] Probate Reality Check

J A Cyphers jacyphers at gmail.com
Thu Aug 25 11:46:29 PDT 2016

I have a vague recollection that if sister is on Medicaid, then DSHS
prohibits a disclaimer.
I see a 2007 note that says DSHS considers qualified disclaimers to be
transfers subject to penalty and cites http://www1.dhsh.wa.gov/esa/eazmanual

Don't know if that will work.

I assume the sister has outlived whatever survivorship clause is in the
mother's will.  So her interest has vested.

Does the POA from sister to brother specifically authorize disclaimers??  As
I recall it has to be specifically authorized under the old POA statute and
the new POA statute is not effective yet.
If it does, you can certainly argue that sister foresaw the conflict of
interest and approved it.

Jackie Cyphers
Jeannette A. Cyphers, Attorney at Law
P. O. Box 908
Edmonds, WA 98020-0908
425-776-5887
fax 425-640-0814
jacyphers at gmail.com

We do not use encrypted email so this message is not secure and may not be
protected by attorney client privilege.  NOTE:  This email address is NOT
monitored 24/7.  If your matter requires prompt attention please call our
offices during business hours so we can discuss it with you and also discuss
timing.

This e-mail is intended for the exclusive use of the person or persons to
whom it is addressed. The Electronic Communications Privacy Act, 18 USC
Sections 2510-2521 applies to this e-mail. Unauthorized review of
distribution is strictly prohibited. If you are not the intended recipient,
please contact the sender by phone or reply e-mail. Do not disseminate this
e-mail and destroy the original e-mail and any copies.