[WSBAPT] Probate Reality Check

Paul Neumiller pneumiller at hotmail.com
Tue Aug 23 15:39:30 PDT 2016

I represent Son.  Mom dies.  Sister, who gets 50% of Mom's estate (Son get
the other 50%), is dying (in hospice care) and incapacitated.  No one knows
when she will pass and family thought Sister would have died before Mom
died.  Sister is insolvent (and has no heirs) except for inheritance and her
Will gives everything to Son, her brother.  Son wants to open Mom's probate
in order to sell Mom's house quickly.  But, if we open probate, then need to
appoint a guardian-ad litem for incapacitated Sister.  Any creative
solutions out there?  To complicate the issue, there may be Medicaid
collections issues out there for Sister when she passes.