[WSBAPT] Staying out of Probate w Prop Transfer After Death

John Creahan john at cairn-law.com
Mon Aug 15 17:24:01 PDT 2016

Hi Paul,
I recommend opening the probate and following the will (although I think you can skip the initial transfer to the RLT) because titling the property in the surviving spouse’s name – even for a minute – might cause nasty unintended consequences.
For instance, the IRS would likely see the survivor’s transfer to the Family Trust as a taxable gift from him (rather than from the decedent), which would require filing a Form 709. Putting the property in his name might also impact the trust’s status with regard to asset protection, Medicaid eligibility, etc.
(You might want to take this answer with a grain of salt. I don’t understand why lawyers have such an aversion to probate – to me, the advantages of utilizing a legal forum with clear rules far outweigh the disadvantages.)
Hope this helps,
John

John Creahan
206-621-5848