[WSBAPT] Alternate Valuation Date - Separate Elections?

Jared E. Adams jared at condieadams.com
Fri Aug 12 14:03:16 PDT 2016

Hi Amy,

Thank you again for your response!  It proved very helpful!

For others who may be interested, I contacted the DOR, and they confirmed what Amy said, citing RCW 83.100.047(1)(a) (last sentence) as their authority, "All other elections or valuations on the Washington return must be made in a manner consistent with the federal return, if a federal return is required, and such rules as the department may provide."

To me, this seems to put Washington taxpayers at a severe disadvantage for no meaningful reason with regards to the alternate valuation date (AVD) and the portability election.  If a decedent's estate is between the WA and federal exemption amounts (e.g., $4.0 million) and that value drops between DOD and the AVD, then the estate is forced to choose between (1) electing the AVD for Washington (but not filing a federal return and missing out portability), or (2) using DOD values for Washington and paying the state more tax, so it can then file the federal return and make the portability election.

The DOR representative told me they have had cases where estates filed using AVD for Washington and DOD for federal, and in those cases the DOR ignores the AVD and imposes tax based on the DOD value.  Candidly, I can't think of any good public policy reason for this. I don't understand why Washington would effectively penalize a taxpayer by making the Washington AVD and the federal portability elections mutually exclusive.  Was that really the legislative intent behind RCW 83.100.047(1)(a)?

Thoughts?

Jared

Jared E. Adams, JD, LL.M.

Condie & Adams, PLLC
611 4th Avenue, Suite A
Kirkland, WA  98033
(voice):  (425) 450-1040
(fax):  (425) 450-1041
(email): jared at condieadams.com<mailto:jared at condieadams.com>
(web): www.condieadams.com<http://www.condieadams.com/>

Unless otherwise expressly indicated, any federal tax advice contained in this communication, including attachments and enclosures, is not intended or written to be used, and may not be used, for the purpose of (i) avoiding tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or (ii) promoting, marketing or recommending to another party any tax-related matters addressed herein.

PLEASE READ THIS ENTIRE DISCLAIMER
This message is from the Law Office of CONDIE & ADAMS, PLLC, and is intended only for the addressee.  The information contained in this message is privileged, confidential, and protected by the attorney-client or attorney work product privileges.  Unauthorized forwarding, printing, copying, distribution, disclosure or use of such information is strictly prohibited.  If you are not the addressee, please promptly delete this message and notify the sender of the delivery error by return e-mail or you may call our office at (425) 450-1040. Nothing in this message should be interpreted as a digital or electronic signature that can be used to authenticate a contract or other legal document.