[WSBAPT] Legal separation in probate

Eric Nelsen Eric at sayrelawoffices.com
Thu Aug 4 16:42:49 PDT 2016

I agree with Geoff assuming the "separation" was just an informal separation pending divorce, and not an actual completed "legal separation" where a Decree of Separation was entered; see RCW 26.09.030(d)<http://app.leg.wa.gov/RCW/default.aspx?cite=26.09&full=true#26.09.030>, and RCW 26.09.050(1)<http://app.leg.wa.gov/RCW/default.aspx?cite=26.09&full=true#26.09.050>. If the Decree separating the parties was entered, then the action is not a nullity and the Decree of Separation should be reviewed, to determine if it has any provisions altering statutory rights as surviving spouse.

If the Decree doesn't have anything altering spousal rights, then its main effect is probably the elimination of any possible community property. The spouse, though separated, is still a "surviving spouse" for purposes of the probate statutes.

Sincerely,

Eric

Eric C. Nelsen

SAYRE LAW OFFICES, PLLC

1417 31st Ave South

Seattle WA  98144-3909

phone 206-625-0092

fax 206-625-9040

Please Note that We Have Moved. We have moved our Seattle office to Mount Baker Ridge (a small commercial community just above the I-90 tunnel). Our new address is 1417 31st Avenue South, Seattle WA 98144. All other contact information remains the same.