[WSBAPT] Assignment of Lease upon death

Margaret Delp delp at whidbey.net
Mon Aug 1 15:32:37 PDT 2016

Hello everyone:

I am working on an estate plan for a married couple.  They are the lessors
in a 30-year Tidelands Lease.  In the event of their demise, they would like
their only heir to receive the right to payments from lessee (shellfish
company).  The lease includes provisions reserving the right of the lessor
to assign the agreement by giving advance written notice to lessee.

What is the best way to handle this?  Can one assign a lease effective upon
death?

I should also note that the couple hopes to have a very simple estate plan
which also avoids probate.   We are considering simple wills with a
transfer on death deed for the property adjacent to the tidelands.

Thanks,

Margaret

--

Law Office of Margaret Delp