[WSBAPT] Family Support Award of house with negative equity

Jane Bitz jbitz at whc-attorneys.com
Fri Apr 22 07:19:25 PDT 2016

Eric:
I think your analysis of this situation is correct. I haven't zeroed out a home value in the past but I have used home loan debt to reduce the value so that cash can be included in the award.

Remember that the court can increase the award to the surviving spouse based on the statutory  factors. I always try to argue an increase because the basic award alone would have lots of people forced out of their homes or keeping their homes with no cash at all.
Jane Bitz

Sent from my iPhone