[WSBAPT] One Probate administration for nonresident?

Eric Nelsen Eric at sayrelawoffices.com
Sun Apr 3 15:35:03 PDT 2016

I think it's at least permissible to do the whole shebang in Washington. I haven't researched the conflict of laws issue on rules of intestacy but the basic conflicts rule is, if the laws in both places come to the same conclusion, then there is no need for a conflict of laws analysis. I don't think TEDRA is necessary; our court has subject matter jurisdiction even over nonresidents who die outside the state. RCW 11.96A.040(1)<http://app.leg.wa.gov/RCW/default.aspx?cite=11.96A&full=true#11.96A.040>.

Probably the main concern would be notice to creditors in Texas. If you publish in the Texas county of residence under RCW 11.40.020(2)<http://app.leg.wa.gov/RCW/default.aspx?cite=11.40&full=true#11.40.020>, it'll probably be okay, but if there is a significant Texas creditor issue and you want to be absolutely sure that that creditor is barred, then it probably is worth the expense of doing an ancillary probate in Texas, and using the Texas creditor process to make sure.

You also might have a problem is if there is an asset in Texas in the custody of an institution or person who is going to have to be persuaded to pass the asset on to the correct heir (because what they would do under Texas law differed from what they should do under Washington law). Then you might need an ancillary probate in Texas.

Sincerely,

Eric

Eric C. Nelsen
SAYRE LAW OFFICES, PLLC