[WSBAPT] slayer statute / preponderance of evidence

G. Geoffrey Gibbs ggibbs at AndersonHunterLaw.com
Wed Sep 30 10:53:19 PDT 2015

I suspect that you will have to hold the probate open for a length of time while the criminal matter is resolved.  Were I counsel for the accused, I would certain assert his rights to decline to testify and the probate trial and request a continuance of the same until the criminal matter is resolved.  If the criminal matter is resolved in favor of the accused, you face a different and lesser burden of proof in the probate but I doubt that the court handling the probate will want to engage in the civil trial until the criminal matter is resolved.
G3
G. Geoffrey Gibbs | Anderson Hunter Law Firm
2707 Colby Avenue | Everett, WA  98201
Phone: (425) 252-5161 | Fax: (425) 258-3345
ggibbs at andersonhunterlaw.com<mailto:ggibbs at andersonhunterlaw.com> / www.andersonhunterlaw.com<http://www.andersonhunterlaw.com/>
[cid:image001.jpg at 01D0FB6E.37180600]
This email message may contain confidential and privileged information.  Any unauthorized use is prohibited.  If you are not the intended recipient, please contact the sender by reply email and destroy all copies of the original message.

From: wsbapt-bounces at lists.wsbarppt.com [mailto:wsbapt-bounces at lists.wsbarppt.com] On Behalf Of Valerie Ohlstrom
Sent: Wednesday, September 30, 2015 10:32 AM
To: 'WSBA Probate & Trust Listserv'; 'Solo and Small Practice Section'
Subject: Re: [WSBAPT] slayer statute / preponderance of evidence

Please answer to the list. Thank you!

Very Truly Yours,

Val

Valerie O. Ohlstrom

Ohlstrom Law Office
valerie at ohlstromlaw.com<mailto:vohlstrom at comcast.net>
www.ohlstromlaw.com<http://www.ohlstromlaw.com/>
(425) 881-5251

This electronic message is intended for the sole use of the recipient(s) named above and may contain confidential and legally privileged information. Any unauthorized review, use, copying, disclosure or distribution is prohibited. If you are not the intended recipient, and received this electronic message in error, please immediately contact the sender by reply e-mail and destroy all copies of the original message.