[WSBAPT] Reverse Mortgage/Elder law issue

G. (Gus) Benjamin Lindsey III lindsey3 at gbl3law.com
Fri Sep 25 08:08:59 PDT 2015

Good morning,

One of my clients called me on behalf of an acquaintance and I'm not sure
where to direct them for assistance.

The PC apparently obtained a reverse mortgage some years ago, with the idea
that it would allow the PC to remain in his home. Unfortunately the PC now
suffers from dementia and therefore had to move out the home.

PC's home in somewhere in Eastern Washington but the PC is now living in
Snohomish County with a caretaker/companion. Originally both the PC and the
caretaker resided in the Eastern Washington residence.

The reverse mortgage company is now saying "return our money" (which, of
course the PC does not have). PC is being told that another option is to
just walk away or try a short sale.

The caretaker is most concerned about removing her furniture and appliances
from the Eastern Washington home.

Has anyone dealt with this type of situation? There seems to be a couple of
elder law issues lurking in the shadows based on the general information
that I have heard so far, but I have not talked to the PC yet.

Any insight or recommendations or referrals will be appreciated. I have not
dealt with reverse mortgages at all.

Sincerely,

G. (Gus) Benjamin Lindsey III

Attorney-at-Law

The Law Office of G. Benjamin Lindsey III

2012 Grade Road, Suite 202

Lake Stevens, WA 98258

Phone:   (425) 263-9585

website: www.gbl3law.com <http://www.gbl3law.com/>

Employment/Labor Law     Construction Law     Civil Litigation     Estate
Planning      Probate

Business Law

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTE: This e-mail message contains information belonging to
The Law Office of G. Benjamin Lindsey III, which may be privileged,
confidential and/or protected from disclosure.  The information is intended
only for the use of the individual or entity named above.  If you think that
you have received this message in error, please contact the sender.  If you
are not the intended recipient, any dissemination, distribution or copying
is strictly prohibited