[WSBAPT] Family Support versus additional exempt assets; counting of community property?

Heather deVrieze heatherd at westseattlelaw.com
Tue Sep 15 17:04:15 PDT 2015

Eric

I have always taken this “exempt property” reference to apply to assets normally exempt from creditors’ claims. If there is a ½ million dollar life insurance, exempt from creditors, it is not likely that you will be successful in claiming a Family Support Award.

I am open to being told I am wrong, but have disclosed to the Court the existence of Qualified Retirement and Life Insurance assets that are non-probate and already going to the surviving spouse or others (kids).

Heather

Heather S. de Vrieze
Attorney-at-Law
[cid:image001.jpg at 01D013C2.30F35160]
3909 California Avenue SW
Seattle, WA 98116-3705
(206)938-5500
heatherd at westseattlelaw.com<mailto:heatherd at westseattlelaw.com>
www.westseattlelaw.com<http://www.westseattlelaw.com/>

Click here to connect with de Vrieze | Carney on Facebook:   [FB Logo] <https://www.facebook.com/DeVriezeCarney>

CONFIDENTIAL & PRIVILEGED. This e-mail message may contain legally privileged and/or confidential information.  If you have received this e-mail in error, please notify the sender immediately and delete all copies of this e-mail message and any attachment.