[WSBAPT] SNT

John Creahan john at cairn-law.com
Thu Sep 3 16:45:38 PDT 2015

This is an interesting discussion, and I agree with Heather that the choice of trustee is key.
In many ways, your clients face the same issues any parent (I am assuming) would face when establishing a trust for a potentially incapacitated or financially irresponsible beneficiary.
I would talk to the client about their thoughts on the trust’s purpose(s), and their expectations about the trustee’s role during the trust term.
What do they want the trust corpus be used for? Provide the beneficiary general financial support or do they want it preserved for emergency healthcare, or something in between.
Will the trustee be expected to check in on the beneficiary, confirm that he or she is taking meds, provide financial and moral support during hospitalization? If so, they will likely need a trustee who specializes or is at least experienced in serving in these capacities. Perhaps you already have a trustee in mind, but, if not, you may want to focus on trustee choice rather than specific trust provisions. The trustee may even be able to provide appropriate language.
Hope this helps,
John

John Creahan
john at cairn-law.com<mailto:john at cairn-law.com>