[WSBAPT] Rejected creditor's claim and sue PR

Sam Furgason sam at furgasons.com
Fri Oct 30 16:02:08 PDT 2015

A creditor's claim is only relevant in respect of debts of a decedent. It
seems from the facts below that a son was killed, and the claim relates to
attempts to get money owing as a consequence of that death. Recovery for
wrongful death, and attendant costs, is not decedent's debt. Without going
into whether the attorney attempting to settle such claim for wrongful death
is entitled to compensation for his efforts, the claim is not a debt of the
decedent and therefore not a proper subject for a creditor's claim. Any
claim post-mortem against the estate - rather than an obligation of the
decedent - is neither subject to the 11.40-11.42 claims procedures nor to
the 11.40-11.42 limitations periods. If the claim is to be made in equity
(e.g., in quantum meruit), the applicable limitations period, if I recall
correctly, would be the general 3-year period. Since the suit would be
against the estate, 11.96A would apply.

My 2 cents.