[WSBAPT] Advance Directives - Obligations of health care providers

Heather deVrieze heatherd at westseattlelaw.com
Thu Oct 22 08:47:25 PDT 2015

Eric,

While I don’t have a response directly on point to your query, my general experience, and a few specific ones, is that health care providers rarely, if ever will put themselves in the position of making a decision. The statute RCW 7.70.065 spells out who may give informed consent for an individual unable to give consent themselves, and this applies to withholding consent as well. If there is no one who meets the criteria of the statute, it is unlikely that any monumental decision will be made and where decisions must be made, guardianship is typically sought.

Accordingly, I don’t think doctors pay much attention to a health care directive in the absence of an advocate or surrogate decision maker forcing them to.

Heather

Heather S. de Vrieze
Attorney-at-Law
[cid:image001.jpg at 01D013C2.30F35160]
3909 California Avenue SW
Seattle, WA 98116-3705
(206)938-5500
heatherd at westseattlelaw.com<mailto:heatherd at westseattlelaw.com>
www.westseattlelaw.com<http://www.westseattlelaw.com/>

Click here to connect with de Vrieze | Carney on Facebook:   [FB Logo] <https://www.facebook.com/DeVriezeCarney>

CONFIDENTIAL & PRIVILEGED. This e-mail message may contain legally privileged and/or confidential information.  If you have received this e-mail in error, please notify the sender immediately and delete all copies of this e-mail message and any attachment.