[WSBAPT] Opt-Out of Community Property?

tegatesesq tegatesesq at gmail.com
Tue Oct 20 19:21:13 PDT 2015

Jared:
Did you get any replies?
Tom

Sent from my T-Mobile 4G LTE Device-------- Original message --------From: "Jared E. Adams" <jared at condieadams.com> Date: 10/14/2015  11:26 AM  (GMT-08:00) To: wsbapt at lists.wsbarppt.com Subject: [WSBAPT] Opt-Out of Community Property?

Hi Colleagues,

I am working on an estate plan for a couple who did a prenuptial agreement about 20 years ago in which they agreed to “opt out” of Washington community property law, and have everything be separate property.  I’ve seen and drafted a fair
 number of pre-nups, but never one where the parties entirely “renounce” community property law.

My first question is, have others seen this type of pre-nup before? Does it stick if someone objects later?

My second question is, what do you think about “refreshing” martial property agreements periodically?  I was speaking with an attorney in Nevada, who said he is seeing a growing trend there for attorneys to advise married clients to update
 their property agreements every decade or so to confirm the intent of the parties and prevent (or clean up) unintended commingling. I am curious if others have heard the same or seen the trend here in Washington?

Thanks!

Jared

Jared E. Adams, JD, LL.M.

Condie & Adams, PLLC

611 4th Avenue, Suite A

Kirkland, WA  98033

(voice):  (425) 450-1040

(fax):  (425) 450-1041
(email):
jared at condieadams.com
(web):
www.condieadams.com

Unless otherwise expressly indicated, any federal tax advice contained in this communication, including attachments and enclosures, is not intended or written to be used, and may not
 be used, for the purpose of (i) avoiding tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or (ii) promoting, marketing or recommending to another party any tax-related matters addressed herein.

PLEASE READ THIS ENTIRE DISCLAIMER

This message is from the Law Office of CONDIE & ADAMS, PLLC, and is intended only for the addressee.  The information contained in this message is privileged, confidential,
 and protected by the attorney-client or attorney work product privileges.  Unauthorized forwarding, printing, copying, distribution, disclosure or use of such information is strictly prohibited.  If you are not the addressee, please promptly delete this message
 and notify the sender of the delivery error by return e-mail or you may call our office at (425) 450-1040. Nothing in this message should be interpreted as a digital or electronic signature that can be used to authenticate a contract or other legal document.