[WSBAPT] Self proving affidavit/declaration - notarized?

Douglas Bratt djbratt at mbavancouverlaw.com
Sun Oct 18 13:19:09 PDT 2015

I have done both, given the Washington statute that equates a properly crafted Declaration as being legally equivalent to an Affidavit.  I always use the Affidavit if I am involved in having the client sign in the office where there are plenty of potential witnesses.  However, upon occasion, with disabled folks, or people in the hospital, to whom I travel, I often choose to use the Declaration, meaning that I only have to involve one neighbor, or a person from down the hall in the hospital, to have the necessary witnesses, assuming I am to be one of the witnesses.

I can echo Martin’s concerns, however, if the will gets probated in another state.  It is not all that much trouble (at least for multi-attorney offices) to always have a couple of witnesses, along with me serving as a Notary, that I would think that would be the practical way to do it, with the least probable issues with the PR getting hassled in an out-of-state court, by a judge in whose state the Declaration form is not similarly accepted in lieu of an Affidavit.

I simply would not habitually do it just one way, in any circumstance.  Each case gets analyzed as to what works best for the convenience of the client, given his/her personal circumstances, and me, in getting the signing accomplished most economically, time-wise.

Regards,

Doug Bratt

Douglas J. Bratt
Lawyer

[Envelope scaled Foster]

Office: (360) 213-2040
 Fax: (360) 213-2030

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE:  This email message may contain confidential or privileged information.  If you have received this message by mistake, please do not review, disclose, copy, or distribute the email. Instead, please notify us immediately by replying to this message or telephoning us.  Thank you.

NOTE:  I do not use encrypted email.  Messages sent to or from my office via email are not secure and may not be protected by attorney-client privilege.  This email address is not monitored at all times.  If your matter is urgent, please phone my office during regular business hours.

TAX ADVICE NOTICE: IRS Circular 230 requires us to advise you that, if this communication or any attachment contains any tax advice, the advice is not intended to be used, and cannot be used, for the purpose of avoiding federal tax penalties. A taxpayer may rely on professional advice to avoid federal tax penalties only if the advice is reflected in a comprehensive tax opinion that conforms to stringent requirements. Please contact us if you have any questions about Circular 230 or would like to discuss our preparation of an opinion that conforms to these IRS rules.