[WSBAPT] HCD Internally Inconsistent??

Paul Neumiller pneumiller at hotmail.com
Fri Oct 16 11:51:26 PDT 2015

Listmates:  Happy Friday.  The Health Care Directive statute (RCW 70.122)
statutory form says, clearly, that if the signor is diagnosed to be in a
terminal condition or a permanent unconscious condition, then
"life-sustaining treatment" shall be withheld or withdrawn.  But, later the
form gives the signor the right to choose between having "artificially
provided" food and water or not having artificially provided food and water.
WHAT?!?!?  If a person signs the form but checks the box that says the
signor wants the food and water tubes, then what?  Aren't these inherently
inconsistent provisions.  Aren't the food and water tubes "life-sustaining
treatment?"  It now seems to me the HCD shouldn't even be used if the person
wants to be left hooked up "because they are finding new cures all the time"
or for whatever reason.  I always thought that the HCD was used to express
the signor's desires WHETHER to have the doctors pull the plug and the
signor could elect to be left hooked up by checking the box saying the
signor wants the artificially provided food and water.   Now, I question
this assumption.  Remember, in the Terri Schiavo case in Florida the
"life-sustaining treatment" was the food and water tubes.    Am I missing
something? Anyone willing to talk me back from the ledge??  None of my
secondary sources discuss the issue and I am re-working my forms.