[WSBAPT] Decedent Forgiveness of Debt

Alexis Singletary alexis at singletarylawoffice.com
Thu Oct 15 10:13:40 PDT 2015

Great. Thanks, Eric.
That has been mine and the client's analysis; good to have some other confirmation of our thinking.

We have been particularly concerned about your 1st paragraph.  [when were those debts incurred, before or after dad's death? Who were they incurred by? Why was the debt considered "forgiven"?]  We have asked and gone unanswered of course by removed AIF.  Given our facts, it is hugely unlikely that dad ever used the credit cards or was probably not even aware of them.  Other issue is that no probate for dad, so Gdn for mom has not been able to get data about dad's assets and debts.  We could start a probate now (more than 2 years since dad died), but with what $ is at issue, we just can't be throwing good money after bad.  So it has been an uphill battle digging into the background details of the actual debt.

We will see where it shakes out.  Another thing to add to the court petition seeking further liability on removed AIF.  The data and accounting on dad's assets and debts since 1/1/2011 was already in the May 2015 court order against removed AIF.  Of course we are not getting the documentation or much of anything from her.  And, again, trying to get contempt or sanctions will be throwing good money after bad most likely.

Thanks for the reply!
Alexis
Alexis R. Singletary
Attorney at Law
Singletary Law Office, PLLC
253.833.8855
www.SingletaryLawOffice.com<http://www.singletarylawoffice.com/>

This message is from an attorney, so it's confidential and may be protected by attorney-client privilege and/or the work-product doctrine.  If you are not the intended recipient, it's too late to stop reading this message, but you may not use it for any improper purpose. Huge Disclaimer available upon request.