[WSBAPT] Real Property in Probate

Douglas Bratt djbratt at mbavancouverlaw.com
Tue Nov 17 17:16:22 PST 2015

Watch out as to use of disclaimer.

It is common that we think that a disclaimer of a one-half share of the Estate will result in the other equal Beneficiary getting the whole of the asset. (I know that I sometimes get this concept wrong, thinking that a little do-it-yourself re-arranging of a plan of distribution can be easily accomplished by using a disclaimer.)

BUT, the statute related to a Disclaimer would result in the heirs of the Disclaiming Individual succeeding that person as to the receipt of the half interest in the asset.  RCW 11.86.041 (1) provides that upon execution of the Disclaimer,   “the interest disclaimed shall pass as if the beneficiary had died immediately prior to the date of the transfer of the interest. The disclaimer shall relate back to this date for all purposes.”

Cleanest way is to leave a paper trail.  It gets distributed to the two individuals from the PR of the Estate.  Then, gift of Brother’s one-half interest to Brother 2.

I don’t know how much a one-half interest would be worth, but we are getting to the end of the year, and $28K of transfer could take place ($14K in 2015 and $14K early in 2016) using the annual exclusion.  Then, gift tax return would have to be filed for only the net value of the one-half interest that exceeds the $28K.

Good luck.

Regards,

Doug Bratt

Douglas J. Bratt
Lawyer

[Envelope scaled Foster]

Office: (360) 213-2040
 Fax: (360) 213-2030

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE:  This email message may contain confidential or privileged information.  If you have received this message by mistake, please do not review, disclose, copy, or distribute the email. Instead, please notify us immediately by replying to this message or telephoning us.  Thank you.

NOTE:  I do not use encrypted email.  Messages sent to or from my office via email are not secure and may not be protected by attorney-client privilege.  This email address is not monitored at all times.  If your matter is urgent, please phone my office during regular business hours.

TAX ADVICE NOTICE: IRS Circular 230 requires us to advise you that, if this communication or any attachment contains any tax advice, the advice is not intended to be used, and cannot be used, for the purpose of avoiding federal tax penalties. A taxpayer may rely on professional advice to avoid federal tax penalties only if the advice is reflected in a comprehensive tax opinion that conforms to stringent requirements. Please contact us if you have any questions about Circular 230 or would like to discuss our preparation of an opinion that conforms to these IRS rules.