[WSBAPT] "consideration" for transfer to beneficiary of RLT?

Tara pugetsoundlaw at gmail.com
Tue Nov 10 16:25:00 PST 2015

I do something similar and state that the transfer is "for and in
consideration of compliance with the terms of" the Last Will and Testament
or Trust Agreement.

I think that WAC exemption applicable depends on the circumstances of the
distribution being made.  WAC 458-61A-210(1) exempts distributions to the
beneficiary of an irrevocable trust, and should include a RLT that has
become irrevocable after the death of the grantors.  WAC 458-61A-211(h)
would apply to transfers from a currently revocable trust back out to a
grantor or to a beneficiary.  WAC 458-61A-202 applies to transfers by
inheritance or devise.  The 202 exemption for "inheritance" can work a
little like a catch-all if you are in doubt, but the auditor or assessor can
be picky about the correct exemption being listed.

Heather rightly note the supporting documentation, there are different
requirements for each WAC listed.

Tara M. Roberts

Puget Sound Law pllc

roberts at pugetsoundlaw.com

The information contained in this email may be privileged and confidential
information intended only for the use of the individual or entity named
above.  If the reader of this message is not the intended recipient, you are
hereby notified that any dissemination, distribution, or copying of the
email is strictly prohibited.  If you have received this email in error,
please notify us immediately and delete the original message and any copies
you may have.  Thank you.