[WSBAPT] Can trust deed lender reach non-probate assets?

Heather deVrieze heatherd at westseattlelaw.com
Tue Nov 10 15:42:54 PST 2015

I always make sure to give Direct Notice to Creditors to the lender in these situations, and if memory serves, it is because a lender can utilize our Judicial Foreclosure instead of a non-judicial foreclosure and get a deficiency judgment in that case.

Not sure what best practice is, but it is what I do.

I think the unasked question is how a Personal Representative can “walk-away” from a probate while this is outstanding? I’m not sure they can, without a Court Order. Might need to give notice to creditors to lender, wait requisite time (later of 4 months from publication or 30 days) ask court to allow Personal Representative’s resignation or request discharge leaving this issue outstanding. I try to discourage clients from getting a probate opened where the only significant probate asset is an under water or upside down property.

Heather

Heather S. de Vrieze
Attorney-at-Law
[cid:image001.jpg at 01D013C2.30F35160]
3909 California Avenue SW
Seattle, WA 98116-3705
(206)938-5500
heatherd at westseattlelaw.com<mailto:heatherd at westseattlelaw.com>
www.westseattlelaw.com<http://www.westseattlelaw.com/>

Click here to connect with de Vrieze | Carney on Facebook:   [FB Logo] <https://www.facebook.com/DeVriezeCarney>

CONFIDENTIAL & PRIVILEGED. This e-mail message may contain legally privileged and/or confidential information.  If you have received this e-mail in error, please notify the sender immediately and delete all copies of this e-mail message and any attachment.