[WSBAPT] Sale of real property to heir of decedent

Laird, Katherine KatherineLaird at CenturyPacificLP.com
Mon Nov 2 10:41:31 PST 2015

I agree with Claudia.  Depending on where a property is located, the appraised value may be significantly less than what the property might sell for on the open market.    Unsuccessful family members and other devisees may claim the value to the estate was not maximized. I know of an estate with a property (residence)  in a popular Seattle neighborhood where this just happened and the sale price after putting the house on the market was several hundred thousand more than anyone thought it would sell  for.
Good luck.

Katherine Kramer Laird
CenturyPacific, LP
Suite 1680
1201 Third Avenue
Seattle, WA  98101
Ph. 206-757-8892/Mobile. 206-915-0109
Fax 206-757-7890
katherinelaird at centurypacificlp.com<mailto:katherinelaird at centurypacificlp.com>

From: wsbapt-bounces at lists.wsbarppt.com [mailto:wsbapt-bounces at lists.wsbarppt.com] On Behalf Of Claudia A Gowan
Sent: Monday, November 02, 2015 10:28 AM
To: WSBA Probate & Trust Listserv
Subject: Re: [WSBAPT] Sale of real property to heir of decedent

John, you may wish to consider whether or not the appraised value (while fmv) is likely to be close to a sales price received through an actual listed sale. At least in King County, there are often competitive bids these days, which drive the sale price higher than appraised value. Because of this environment, I would consider whether or not it would be smart to do a NJDRA.

Best, Claudia

Claudia A. Gowan

Claudia A. Gowan, PLLC
2101 Fourth Avenue, Suite 1900