[WSBAPT] Personal Representatives and Powers of Attorney

Lewis, Amy C. ALewis at Eisenhowerlaw.com
Fri May 22 16:45:55 PDT 2015

Jennifer,

                As long as the PR has nonintervention powers, then RCW 11.68.090(1) allows the PR to exercise the powers of a trustee under RCW 11.98 without court approval, and RCW 11.98.070(27) allows a trustee to delegate duties.  In rare cases when a PR or Trustee needs to delegate duties, I usually use a document titled "delegation" and cite to these statutes for clarity, but using a POA for this purpose might work.

Amy C. Lewis, Attorney

[cid:logo31b567]

ESTATE PLANNING & PROBATE

1200 Wells Fargo Plaza | 1201 Pacific Avenue | Tacoma, WA 98402
phone 253.572.4500 | fax 253.272.5732 | www.eisenhowerlaw.com<http://www.eisenhowerlaw.com/>

From: wsbapt-bounces at lists.wsbarppt.com [mailto:wsbapt-bounces at lists.wsbarppt.com] On Behalf Of Jennifer Johnson
Sent: Friday, May 22, 2015 4:31 PM
To: 'WSBA Probate & Trust Listserv'
Subject: [WSBAPT] Personal Representatives and Powers of Attorney

Good afternoon,

I am closing a real estate transaction in which the Seller is the personal representative of an estate.  The PR brought in a power of attorney today appointing his attorney as attorney in fact for the purpose of signing closing documents.  I didn't think that a PR could delegate duties by a power of attorney, at least not without a court order, but I don't do very many probates so I thought I'd check with you all to see what you know.  My quick review of the RCWs didn't turn up any info.

It is a non-intervention probate and there is no order filed in the probate case as of today.

I appreciate any insight someone may have on this!

Thank you,

Jennifer

Jennifer M. Johnson | Attorney
Hanigan Law Office, P.S.
P.O. Box 39 / 68 Main Street
Cathlamet, WA 98612
(360) 795-3494

[cid:image001.png at 01D094AE.C5167CB0]

 IMPORTANT/CONFIDENTIAL: This e-mail message (and any attachments accompanying it) may contain confidential information, including information protected by attorney-client privilege. The information is intended only for the use of the intended recipient(s). Delivery of this message to anyone other than the intended recipient(s) is not intended to waive any privilege or otherwise detract from the confidentiality of the message. If you are not the intended recipient, or if this message has been addressed to you in error, do not read, disclose, reproduce, distribute, disseminate or otherwise use this transmission. Rather, please promptly notify the sender by reply e-mail, and then destroy all copies of the message and its attachments, if any.