[WSBAPT] Decedent's Estate Might be Sued

Dalynne Singleton dalynne.singleton at singletonjorgensen.com
Tue Mar 24 07:34:48 PDT 2015

In my experience, the appointment of defense counsel by the insurance company only comes AFTER the opening of probate since the decedent is the insured.  The insurance company does not provide for opening the probate for their own insured decedent.  Many times the statute of limitations for the tort claims is running and it is a scramble by the injured party’s attorney to open the probate, get the Administrator appointed, then serve the Administrator with the S/Complaint and a Creditor’s Claim.  Since you represent the husband of the tortfeasor, nothing may happen until close to 3 years after the collision.  If that time is 2 years post death but within 3 year SOL for tort, then the injured party will be limited to the insurance policy alone.

Dalynne Singleton

 <http://www.singletonjorgensen.com/>

1541 Piperberry Way SE, Suite 105

Port Orchard, WA  98366

Phone: 360-329-4079

Fax:     360-443-1259

E-mail:  <mailto:lara at singletonjorgensen.com> dalynne at singletonjorgensen.com

Web:    www.singletonjorgensen.com <http://www.singletonjorgensen.com/>

LICENSED IN WASHINGTON AND OREGON

IMPORTANT/CONFIDENTIAL: This e-mail message (and any attachments accompanying it) may contain confidential information, including information protected by attorney-client privilege. The information is intended only for the use of the intended recipient(s).  Delivery of this message to anyone other than the intended recipient(s) is not intended to waive any privilege or otherwise detract from the confidentiality of the message.  If you are not the intended recipient, or if this message has been addressed to you in error, do not read, disclose, reproduce, distribute, disseminate or otherwise use this transmission, rather, please promptly notify the sender by reply e-mail, and then destroy all copies of the message and its attachments, if any.

  <http://www.superlawyers.com/redir?r=http://www.superlawyers.com/washington/lawyer/Gary-Manca/ca059d21-1b6e-4fca-b396-80c253f82402.html&c=email_Small_badge&i=ca059d21-1b6e-4fca-b396-80c253f82402>