[WSBAPT] << Rules of Thumb as to "THE" 2 Witnesses >>

Eric Nelsen Eric at sayrelawoffices.com
Wed Mar 18 16:48:06 PDT 2015

I routinely act as witness on Wills drafted by someone else in my office. I routinely act as Notary on self-proving affidavits, even on Wills that I have drafted. I ignore my status as attorney because I'm not functioning as an attorney in that instance. On the one occasion where there was a Will contest on a Will I had witnessed and drafted by another attorney in my office, we referred the case out to different counsel so I could act as a fact witness. I think it wouldn't have been an issue because the claim was not related to irregularity in execution, but better safe than sorry; no need to get embroiled in even a potential witness/attorney conflict.

I've never had someone walk in to request witness/notary services on a Will, but offhand I wouldn't necessarily decline. It's the same drill as with any Will; I'd want to be sure that the Testator/rix was competent, not under influence, etc..  I probably would decline to witness where I had even the slightest doubt on those issues, since I haven't had the same level of interaction with a walk-in that I do with a client.

Personally, I don't care what the Will actually says, so long as the Testator/rix affirms that s/he has read it, understands it, declares it to be her/his will, and signs it. If I'm reasonably sure they are competent and signing voluntarily, it's their business what they do with their assets. I'm just witnessing, not advising. (Need to make that absolutely clear too, come to think of it--maybe have the person sign a separate acknowledgment for my file confirming that we're not acting as lawyers, just witnesses?)

But if I'm witnessing it, I'd get a copy and file it away, so if there's ever any question about what I witnessed, I'd have an exact copy of the Will as witnessed.

I'd also charge for my time, if I'm going to be bothered by a non-client for witnessing.

Sincerely,

Eric

Eric C. Nelsen
SAYRE LAW OFFICES, PLLC