[WSBAPT] Quasi Adoption for inheritance purposes

Douglas Bratt djbratt at mbavancouverlaw.com
Wed Mar 18 12:54:29 PDT 2015

Scott:

How did Decedent "inherit all that he owned at the time of his death" from his deceased wife.  Was there a will to that effect?  Was there a probate at the time of her death? Or, did everything pass due to a Community Property Agreement?

Depending upon how long Decedent and your client's mother were married at the time of the client's mother's death, is it possible that there was any separate property belonging to client's mother, half of which would have gone to your client, as her child, with the other half of the separate property going to the decedent, at that time her surviving spouse.  Again, that is assuming that there was no will, and assuming that all of the client's mother's money was not in non-probate assets with the husband named as the beneficiary thereof.

Talk about being in the right place at the right time, with a bunch of circumstances falling in just the right order for the deceased individual's long-gone birth mother.  Equities are certainly on the side of your client, but this is one more example of why people should acknowledge their inevitable demise and make a will.

Your client's situation reminds me quite a bit of a client of mine whose long-time partner (now deceased) bothered to change over some non-probate assets to my client, but just did not get around to updating his will, to include provisions which recognized their quality relationship that was long-term and devoted, albeit, without the marriage certificate.  His death occurred on the very day he was retiring and traveling back to re-join his partner, my client.  A will, over twenty years old, and predating the start of the relationship with my client, ended up being the dispositive document, and included a long-ago estranged sibling to whom the decedent had not spoken for almost ten years.  Such a shame.  But, so many people shy away from wills for whatever reason.

I would say best of luck, Scott, but I think your client is SOL.

Regards,

Doug Bratt

Douglas J. Bratt
Lawyer

[Envelope scaled Foster]

Office: (360) 213-2040
 Fax: (360) 213-2030

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE:  This email message may contain confidential or privileged information.  If you have received this message by mistake, please do not review, disclose, copy, or distribute the email. Instead, please notify us immediately by replying to this message or telephoning us.  Thank you.

NOTE:  I do not use encrypted email.  Messages sent to or from my office via email are not secure and may not be protected by attorney-client privilege.  This email address is not monitored at all times.  If your matter is urgent, please phone my office during regular business hours.

TAX ADVICE NOTICE: IRS Circular 230 requires us to advise you that, if this communication or any attachment contains any tax advice, the advice is not intended to be used, and cannot be used, for the purpose of avoiding federal tax penalties. A taxpayer may rely on professional advice to avoid federal tax penalties only if the advice is reflected in a comprehensive tax opinion that conforms to stringent requirements. Please contact us if you have any questions about Circular 230 or would like to discuss our preparation of an opinion that conforms to these IRS rules.