[WSBAPT] Divorce, property settlement and estate planning

Claudia A Gowan claudia at cagowanlaw.com
Mon Mar 16 09:59:18 PDT 2015

Colleagues, I am looking for guidance on how to handle a title question.

New client coming in for estate planning.

Last deed recorded on his residence with the County was his deed gifting then wife a CP interest in the home.

Was divorced within last few years. Home was awarded to him under property settlement. However, no deed was issued through property settlement proceedings.

He refinanced the property after the divorce, but as far as I can tell, the lender did nothing to clear the records.

Any thoughts on how to handle this?

Many thanks, Claudia

Claudia A. Gowan

Claudia A. Gowan, PLLC