[WSBAPT] Clients want to name children in Health Care Directive

Kate Gamble uptownlawpt at gmail.com
Mon Mar 9 11:42:55 PDT 2015

Okay I see the distinction, thanks!

I took a closer look at the POLST form I received at a recent CLE, and it
appears that this green form gives the patient the option to choose ³DNR² as
an appropriate response for emergency responders.  This is the
fridge/nightstand document.

I think my confusion has to do with the necessity of a DNR signed by a
physician in order to ³pull the plug.²  In the case where a patient has not
executed a POLST form (which is voluntary) but has a valid HCD in place
expressing the patient¹s wish for DNR in certain circumstances, wouldn¹t
this be sufficient to authorize the MD to sign a necessary DNR document for
the patient? Or a valid HCPOA giving the POA the authority to sign a POLST
for the patient?

You brought up some good points for drafting language to clarify these
issues.

Thanks, Howard!

Kate Gamble

Attorney at Law

Uptown Law PLLC

(360) 379-1818

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE: This email, including any  attachments, is
confidential and subject to legal privilege.  The information contained in
this message is intended only for the use of the above named recipient.  If
dissemination, disclosure, or copying of this communication, including all
attachments, is strictly prohibited, and subject to penalty.  If you have
received this communication in error, please immediately notify us by return
email and telephone at 360-379-1818; then please destroy this original
message and all attachments.  Thank you.

SPECIAL NOTICE TO CLIENT(S): If you are a client and this email is directed
to you, DO NOT FORWARD to any other party, or you could be waiving the
attorney -client privilege