[WSBAPT] DPOA child restricting sibling's access to parent

Eric Nelsen Eric at sayrelawoffices.com
Fri Jun 26 15:51:05 PDT 2015

As I look at this further, I wonder if jurisdiction isn't still appropriate here. There is a disjunct between jurisdiction under RCW 11.90 and venue under RCW 11.88.010(3). Venue is required to be in county of domicile, and yet under RCW 11.90 there are many scenarios where Washington can exercise jurisdiction despite domicile not being in Washington.

I think I'd be willing to set venue in county of the father's last Washington residence, and allege that's domicile since he's not happy at the Idaho facility and keeps talking about wanting to move back. Father has many significant connections with Washington because virtually all his property is still here; it's just that he's in a facility in another state.

(Domicile = residence with intent to remain; Residence = place where one currently lives, such that a person can have several residences but only one domicile)

Also, if I bring the petition as to guardianship of the estate only, I wonder how that would change the court's considerations.

I see that Ch. 11.90 was only enacted in 2009, and I don't see any case law on it yet. Anyone know any more about venue problems in this kind of circumstance?

Sincerely,

Eric

Eric C. Nelsen
SAYRE LAW OFFICES, PLLC