[WSBAPT] Business Appraisal

Teunis J. Wyers teunisj at wyerslawpc.com
Thu Jun 18 09:03:40 PDT 2015

What is the context for this question? The only real assets of value in a
law practice are the desks, computers, books, etc. You cannot sell the
clients.

Is this a law practice in the estate of a deceased lawyer?  Or does this
involve a lawyer who is a party to a marriage dissolution?  Or is this a
situation where a lawyer is selling an active practice?  In the latter
situation, where the departing lawyer may have gained a good reputation in
the community, where there is a functioning law office in place, and where
that lawyer is willing to encourage his or her clients to seek future
services from the new lawyer, I have seen the use of one year's gross
revenue as a rule of thumb for a valuation.

On Thu, Jun 18, 2015 at 7:05 AM, <amanda_wilson at olypenlawoffices.com> wrote:

> Hello~
>

> Does anyone have any suggestions for getting an appraisal on a solo
> practitioner law firm? It may be that the only asset of value is the client
> list. I am not even clear how to Google this.
>

> Thank you in advance.
>

> Amanda Wilson
>

> *Amanda M. Wilson, esq.*
>

> Olympic Peninsula Law Offices, LLC
>
> 1240 W. Sims Way #115
>
> Port Townsend, WA 98368
>

> (360)437-4172 office
>
> (206)331-7851 cell phone
>

> *"Your words are the greatest power you have. The words you choose and
> their use establish the life you experience." -Sonia Croquette *

Teunis J. Wyers @ Wyers|Wyers, Attorneys
Oregon Office:
     216 Columbia St. - P.O. Box 917
     Hood River, OR 97031
     (541)386-2210/610-1520 (fax)
Washington Office:
     218 E. Steuben St. - P. O. Box 421
     Bingen, WA  98605
     (509) 493-2772/493-2406 (fax)
Email:  teunisj at wyerslawpc.com
Web:  www.wyerslawpc.com

NOTICE:  This email (including any attachments) is covered by the
Electronic Communications Privacy Act (EPCA), 18 U.S.C., Sec. 2510 - 2522,
is confidential and privileged.  This email is solely for the personal and
confidential use of the recipient(s) named above.  Receipt by anyone other
than the individual recipient(s) is NOT a waiver of attorney-client
privilege.  Any violation of the ECPA is subject to the penalties stated
therein. If you have received this message in error, please notify me
immediately by reply e-mail and immediately delete the original message.