[WSBAPT] recording

Jill H. Sasser jill.sasser at landerholm.com
Mon Jun 8 13:15:03 PDT 2015

I think the recorder is assuming that you are skipping a step and that is why the deed is getting bounced back to you (possibly in order to save on recording fees).  For example, if you were making a distribution from the estate to John Smith, individual beneficiary, and John Smith wanted to transfer his interest to his RLT, and asked you to prepare a deed as follows:

PR of Estate, to John Smith, Trustee of the John Smith RLT

I think the recorder is not understanding that the distribution is to a testamentary trust, and therefore, there is no individual person(s) to transfer the interest to, prior to transferring to the testamentary trust.

I would either call and talk to someone at the office (if they take calls at that office), or return the deed and attach an explanatory cover letter that explains that you are NOT skipping a step, and that the trustee of the testamentary trustee is the proper distributee.

Good luck!

Jill