[WSBAPT] What is Attorney Here?

Eric Nelsen Eric at sayrelawoffices.com
Fri Jun 5 16:39:15 PDT 2015

Wow, Paul--tough one. I haven't encountered the scenario but I'd start research with the commentary on RPC 1.14 (client with diminished capacity) and whether it's possible to disclose information to protect the client's estate planning interests. I would argue that a client's EP interests is a "financial interest" coming to harm by these facts. You know what client wanted, and daughter's actions are essentially self-serving and so she has burden to demonstrate how/why they were actually for mom's best interests, and not really to thwart her EP intent.

I know that many duties to our clients continue past their deaths, but not sure about anything under RPC 1.14. Hard to argue that a deceased client that was of diminished capacity before, is about to come to financial harm--but then again, the client had future desires for what happens to their financial assets after death, and the wrongful acts occurred during the client's diminished capacity, so maybe that qualifies.

To the extent you are relieved from RPC 1.6 confidentiality by your duties under RPC 1.14(c), I think you might be able to report financial abuse during client's life, as a crime. I am pretty sure those cases can be pursued even after death. Alternatively, I think you could disclose information to the PR, as it's the PR's responsibility to pursue claims that the deceased would have had during life.

All of that is dependent on making darn sure of your scope of discretionary disclosure of confidential information under RPC 1.14(c).

Beware one potential trap--I assume the daughter doesn't consider you her attorney as well. If she communicated to you something in confidence, evaluate your potential exposure to an argument from her that she "thought he was my attorney."

Sincerely,

Eric

Eric C. Nelsen
SAYRE LAW OFFICES, PLLC