[WSBAPT] Effect of adding a notarized codicil to a will that is not self-proving

Eric Nelsen Eric at sayrelawoffices.com
Mon Jun 1 14:28:52 PDT 2015

That's my thought as well--cure the problem by doing a new Will rather than merely a Codicil.

Question though--Assuming the client just does not want to do a new Will and is adamant about a Codicil only--might it be possible to attach a copy of the Will to the Codicil, incorporate the copy by reference, assert that the Codicil re-publishes and ratifies each and every clause of the copy as set forth therein, except as expressly modified by the Codicil--and thereby avoid the necessity of tracking down the witnesses to the original Will? The Codicil would then more or less stand on its own as a Will, and the difference in terminology of calling it a "Codicil" as opposed to a "Will" shouldn't make a difference?

Sincerely,

Eric

Eric C. Nelsen
SAYRE LAW OFFICES, PLLC