[WSBAPT] Effect of adding a notarized codicil to a will that is notself-proving

Brink, Kerry Kbrink at vjglaw.com
Mon Jun 1 14:29:29 PDT 2015

Could you incorporate the will by reference in the codicil and have the codicil self-proving?  Here's the RCW.  On another note, I don't think the self-proving part has to be by affidavit - it can be in Declaration form - could the original will have witnesses sign  Declaration language - and so no notary required?

"RCW 11.12.255
Incorporation by reference.

A will may incorporate by reference any writing in existence when the will is executed if the will itself manifests the testator's intent to incorporate the writing and describes the writing sufficiently to permit its identification. In the case of any inconsistency between the writing and the will, the will controls."

Best regards,

Kerry E. Brink
Kerry E. Brink * Attorney

Estate Planning, Probate, Elder Law

[VJG logo-2008]

PO Box 1315
1201 Pacific Ave Suite 1900
Tacoma, WA   98401-1315
www.vjglaw.com<http://www.vjglaw.com/>

* kbrink at vjglaw.com
* 253.383.3791 (main)
         253.591.8555 (direct)
         253.383.6377 (fax)
CONFIDENTIALITY DISCLAIMER:  This Electronic Message contains information belonging to Vandeberg Johnson & Gandara, LLP, which is confidential and/or privileged information.  The information is intended only for the use of the individual or entity named above.  If you are not the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any disclosure, copying, distribution or the taking of any action in reliance on the contents of this message is strictly prohibited.  Please notify us immediately by replying to this message or telephoning us if you have received this message by mistake.  Thank you.