[WSBAPT] X-Spouse as unintended direct beneficiary

Eric Nelsen Eric at sayrelawoffices.com
Mon Jul 20 15:52:22 PDT 2015

I'm not sure I follow the scenario, but I'm guessing:

T and ex-spouse had two sons. First son predeceased T without issue. Second son did in fact survive T long enough to inherit but died shortly thereafter. So, it's really the son's Estate distribution we are talking about now: and the son's sole heir by intestacy is his surviving parent, T's ex-spouse. Son has no living issue so parents inherit.

If that's the case, then it is what it is and ex-spouse inherits. The problem is the Will that contains "if son survives" language but didn't specify a long enough time period for survival to make it emotionally "valid" that the son did in fact survive to inherit T's estate.

Possible avenues to challenge:

Does language of the Will clearly avoid the 120-hour survival requirement under RCW 11.05A -- see .060(2). If in fact the son died within 120 hours such that it might make a difference.

Can you make an argument under the totality of the Will provisions that the intent of the Testator -- T -- would be to prefer intestacy to T's heirs, as opposed to intestacy as to T's son's heirs. This is really only feasible if the Will language is sufficiently ambiguous.

Other than that, I got nothin'.

Sincerely,

Eric

Eric C. Nelsen