[WSBAPT] Estate Planning for the Rapture

Heather deVrieze heatherd at westseattlelaw.com
Tue Jul 7 16:02:53 PDT 2015

Had a client today inform me that he believed that the Rapture would soon be upon us (in the next year or three) and that he and his wife would suddenly just be missing, along with many of their beneficiaries and designated fiduciaries. Following the scriptures they would return to earth after its 7 years of trials and tribulations and that he wouldn't want any presumption of death to distribute all of his assets to the remaining (non-raptured) beneficiaries in that time frame.

Wanting to respect the client despite any of my own personal views of his position, I was pondering perhaps including a provision in the POA and in the Will that might require an 8 year waiting period, instead of the 5 year presumption under 11.80.080, before distributing the estate. (In the event that I am missing and there is no physical proof of my death, I direct my Personal Representative/Attorney-in-fact to wait a period of at least 8 years from the date that I went missing before administering my estate and distributing it under 11.80.080.)

Thoughts?

Heather

Heather S. de Vrieze
Attorney-at-Law
[cid:image001.jpg at 01D013C2.30F35160]
3909 California Avenue SW
Seattle, WA 98116-3705
(206)938-5500
heatherd at westseattlelaw.com<mailto:heatherd at westseattlelaw.com>
www.westseattlelaw.com<http://www.westseattlelaw.com/>

Click here to connect with de Vrieze | Carney on Facebook:   [FB Logo] <https://www.facebook.com/DeVriezeCarney>

CONFIDENTIAL & PRIVILEGED. This e-mail message may contain legally privileged and/or confidential information.  If you have received this e-mail in error, please notify the sender immediately and delete all copies of this e-mail message and any attachment.